Dyfed Powys Police would like to remind homeowners about the importance of securing their home while leaving it unoccupied for any length of time.
The majority of criminals take advantage of opportunities presented to them, and it’s important to minimise these opportunities by taking a few simple steps.
These can include:
Cancelling milk and newspaper deliveries
Use automatic timer-switches to turn your lights on when it goes dark
Inspector Rose Ann Lloyd said, “Residents should remember to secure their homes against potential intruders. Lock and secure your home when you leave. If you leave your home insecure you could make your home insurance policy invalid and end up out of pocket."
A few useful tips to lower the risk of burglary;
• Don’t close your curtains - in daytime this shows the house is empty.
• Use automatic timer-switches to turn your lights on when it goes dark.
• Cancel any milk or newspaper deliveries.
• Uncollected mail is a sign that you are away. Royal Mail’s Keepsafe service will keep your mail for up to two months while you are away.
• Hide important documents and valuable items, or leave with other family members or in a bank.
• Do not put your home address on the outside of your luggage when you are travelling to your holiday destination.
• Finally, make sure that you’ve locked all doors and windows and, if you have a burglar alarm, ensure it is set.
For more information how to prevent your home being burgled, checkout: http://www.dyfed-powys.police.uk
Dafen Weather Forecast